Pages

30 January 2014

Late January garden 2014


I found another little toadstool? (Anyone know what it is?) at an earlier stage of development than in my previous post.
 I think it is enchanting.

  I have an answer.... It is a Geastrum.  Many kinds are commonly known as earth stars.


Their were 3 Robins in the vegetable garden this morning.
 This one is perched on last years bean pole.
 
The Rhubarb is up. This is Victoria in a sheltered shady spot.

After a few weeks on the windowsill the early potatoes have grown their eyes /chitted.

I planted the first ones today in the small tunnel.
The bed is prepared with a mound of old dung, a good sprinkling of ash from the wood-fired range and topped with the shredded asparagus stalks.


The vegetable garden in January.

Kale.

Turnips will need to be picked soon before spring growth starts,

The potting bench in the small tunnel, the season begins.