Pages

30 October 2013

October garden

 The big tunnel. The pumpkins have come in from the outdoor garden, I only put 2 plants in under the corn. They are small, we had a dry summer and I didn't water them, but I don't mind as we don't eat a lot of pumpkin and I am a fan of  "Small is beautiful!" I have read that cows love pumpkin and that the seeds are excellent as a wormer.

 The Tomatoes are still doing well, I was trying to get a photo of the under planting but it is hard to see.. Back at the end of August near the base of the Tomato row I planted overwintering Winterkiefe pea, lettuce and other greens. I am still working on the best timing for planting winter crops. Life with a toddler  dictates that things get done whenever  they can get done.

 Potatoes in the foreground still have green tops, we will let them die back before harvest. Kale is doing great. Sweetcorn in the background is finished, We had 3 beds of sweetcorn, about 40 plants in each bed and at least 2 cobs from each plant.... That's 240+ cobs, enough for this year, I will be trying to grow more next year to feed animals too.

The Sweetcorn is all picked and the plants are dying back, we will lop the plants at ground level and they will make good mulch. There is good ground cover established for the winter so no need to expose or disturb the soil at all.

Alfie with a fig in the small tunnel.
 There is a good second crop on the fig tree.

View September garden

View November garden